About Ghoomar Dance
Ghoomar is a Rajasthani folk dance that is both traditional and energetic. Ghoomar, also known as Ghumar, was invented by the Bhil tribe and later adopted by other Rajasthani communities. The Ghoomar dance is a women’s dance that is only performed by women at ladies’ gatherings. Ghoomar dance is performed by groups of women moving in a circle and wearing swirling robes, accompanied by men and women singing in unison.
The name of this spectacular folk dance comes from the word ‘ghoomna.’ When the colours of the flowing ‘ghaghara,’ the long skirt of Rajasthani women, flow during pirouetting, the fascination begins. The skirt flares slowly while the women twirl in circles, their faces are hidden behind the veil.
According to the traditional rituals, the newly married bride is expected to dance ghoomar on being welcomed to her new marital home. Ghoomar is frequently performed on special occasions such as weddings, festivals, and religious occasions, and can last for hours.
Ghoomar also represents the transition of young girls into womanhood in the Bhil community, making the attire even more significant. The outfits’ colors and motifs make the dance extremely appealing to watch. Surprisingly, the zari work and the amount of embroidery on the ensemble also indicate the family’s wealth.
Ghoomar Dance Origin
Ghoomar is a traditional Bhil tribe folk dance performed to honour Goddess Sarasvati, which was later adopted by other Rajasthani communities. Bheels were a powerful community at the time, constantly at odds with Rajput kings. After much fighting, they reached an agreement and began interacting with one another. Ghoomar was originally performed by local women in Rajputana; however, Rajput elite women began to participate in the dance later on. Men were not permitted to attend these dance performances. Ghoomar became popular during the reigns of Rajput kings in the Indian state of Rajasthan and is typically performed by women on auspicious occasions. Women perform ghoomar while wearing ghoonghat on their heads, which covers their faces.
With the different regions of Rajasthan, the dance form acquires different styles and slight changes in attire. Ghoomar is performed with faster beats in areas bordering Gujarat, with steps similar to Garba style, and slower beats in Dhaulpur Karauli Braj kshetra, with similar differences in attire and dancing style in Udaipur, Kota, Bundi, and so on.
The popular Ghoomar Dance in Rajasthan, India, is known as the Bhil tribe’s signature dance. The Rajput Kachhwaha Clan, who ruled Jaipur, defeated the Bhils and later agreed to peaceful coexistence. As a result, it is natural for the royalty to adopt some of the Bhil traditions and practices. It has since become associated with the royal ladies of Jaipur, who perform it on auspicious occasions.
It is now performed on special occasions by middle-class families in Udaipur, Jodhpur, and the Kota–Bundi region. It is very musical in Udaipur and resembles the Garva of neighboring Gujarat. The movement of the limbs in Jodhpur is jerky. Kota-Ghoomar Bundi’s is vibrant and impressive. The song that accompanies this dance is melodious and catchy.
Ghoomar Dance Element
Ghoomar, also known as Jhumar, is a joyful swaying dance that can be performed by women of all ages. Its specialty is its unique footwork. This folk dance has no time limit and can last for hours or the entire night.
Ghoomar dancers move in a circular pattern with clockwise and anti-clockwise steps, and in between, they sometimes unite their hands and even clap their hands. Synchronization of steps with song beats is critical, and as the tempo of the dance increases, the dancers swirl quickly.
Ghoomar Dance Costumes
Women wear ghagra-choli (a team of ankle-length flared skirts, a blouse, and a veil – the chunari or odhni.) These are bordered with gota or lace, embellished with zari (silver-thread embroidery), and enhanced with mirror work. The beautiful and colorful costumes are one feature that may contribute to the enduring popularity of this traditional dance form. Women dress in choli and ghagra a long, flowing skirt embellished with mirrors, crystals, stones, or thread work. While women’s traditional attire is ornate in and of itself, they also wear heavy jewelry and accessories.
The original outfit had a knee-length skirt, but to give it a more universal appeal, the length was increased to the ankle so that it could be worn as a traditional Indian wedding gown. The longer length allows for more elegance, exudes sophistication, and allows for more innovation, such as fish cut at the end, A-style, or side slits for a more modernised look.
Ghoomar Dance Dresses By Sanskriti Fancy Dresses!
Sanskriti Fancy Dresses is the supplier of costumes that are needed for almost every kind of dance event. Accessories are also supplied by us along with the costumes. You will not have to worry about the different types of dresses and matching jewelry. If you are planning to buy such stuff for a dance program then it may be expensive. Moreover, they will not be used again. Therefore, investing a huge amount of money in a costume for single-use is useless.
We will help you with all your costume-related needs and the problem of searching for jewelry and costumes is also resolved. We are one of the best suppliers who provide dance costumes on rent to the performers and you can also buy the costumes from.us according to your needs.
Why Choose Sanskriti Fancy Dresses!!
- We are experienced in the industry for over a decade now. With so much experience in the field, we are ready with all such items that you may need.
- All costumes and stuff are available for any kind of dance performance.
- Even if we run short on some items you will not have to worry because we manufacture the costumes and need only a week’s time to fulfill the demands of our customers.
- We have an in-house team of designers who are experienced in their field and ensure that the costumes fit the performer very well and they can imagine themselves as the characters.
- The costumes are stitched with great attention to detail.
- Dresses are cleaned after every use and hygiene is taken care of to provide the best services to the customers.
- The quality of fabrics used by us are all great and we ensure that the best quality is used so that an extreme level of comfort is provided to the customer. Ghoomar Dance Costume is also available.
- We deliver the costumes and accessories to your doorstep on time. We deliver the goods to national as well as international destinations.
Ghoomar Dance Facts!!
- Young females and girls participate in these dance shows to openly declare to the world that they have assumed the role of a ‘woman.
- Synchronization of steps with song beats is critical, and as the tempo of the dance increases, the dancers swirl quickly.
- These dances were performed by various tribes in the state as entertainment for ancient Kings and rulers.
- Ghoomar dance is a form of worship that is performed on special occasions such as weddings.
- As accompaniments, drums, manjira, metal plates, Dhol, clash cymbals, and a harmonium are used.
- It depicts Rajasthan’s rich culture through aesthetically pleasing movements and traditional attire.
- Ghoomar also represents the transition of young girls into womanhood in the Bhil community, making the attire even more significant.
- Ghoomar dancers move in a circular pattern with clockwise and anti-clockwise steps, and in between, they sometimes unite their hands and even clap their hands.